Monday, August 6, 2012

Deli-Shoots: Soy Hainanese Chicken Fillet

I love watching the Travel and Living channel especially when it's food related. I've watched Anthony Bourdain's No Reservation, Bobby Chinn, Andrew Zimmern, and Kylie Kwong. I forgot the title of Kylie's show but I remembered she visits restaurants and whatever dish she ordered or she's interested in, she recreates her own version of it. I saw her once, doing the oriental chicken, Hainanese is what they call it, though the name originated from Hainan, China, the dish itself became famous in Singapore. After watching her cooked it, I know I can do it because the ingredients are just simple and available in the supermarket. When I first made the dish, I used whole chicken which is the standard and used the broth to cook the rice, but just days ago, I made a different Hainanese Chicken dish, my own version. I bought a chicken thigh part fillet because that's our fave part of the chicken and made some twist but the taste is close to what I cooked before, but even better.  So here's my own Soy Hainanese Chicken Fillet.


 


Ingredients:
1/2 Kilo of Chicken Fillet (thigh part)
1/4 cup chopped garlic
1/4 cup chopped ginger
1/4 cup chopped spring onions
soy sauce
Kikkoman soy sauce
oyster sauce
sesame oil
black ground pepper
water

Here's how I cooked it:

I sliced the chicken fillet into 2x2 size so it's easy to eat and the meat will easily absorb the taste of the spices. Mix the chopped garlic, ginger and spring onion into the chicken fillet, setting aside a teaspoon of each for the sauce. Put 2 tbsp. soy sauce, 4 tbsp. Kikkoman soy sauce, 4 tbsp. oyster sauce, half a teaspoon of sesame oil, sprinkle a pinch of ground pepper and 2 cups of water. Cover the pan and let it boil.

Sauce preparation:



Mix the remaining spices together with a 4 tbsp. of oyster sauce, 2 Kikkoman sauce, 1 tbsp. soy sauce and half teaspoon of sesame oil. Stir the sauce mixture and sprinkle some black ground pepper, you may add some sugar if you want it to be a bit sweeter. Consistency shouldn't be too thick.

If  the chicken is cooked already, remove it from the pan and place it in a serving bowl. You can use the broth to cook the rice for a more Hainanese feel and taste.

sorry for the dark image(",)

Looks like Adobo but doesn't taste like one, yet more flavorful (",)

Pour the sauce mixture over the chicken fillet. Serving is good for 5 to 6 persons.

So there you go, I have re-created another mouthwatering dish. Let me share this to you, I'm just so happy that my kids ate rice with the sauce, and they seldom eat rice, only at Teriyaki Boy's SukiBeef Teppandon. My recipe passed their taste buds. I will repeat this again. Thank you for your time, my dear readers. 

Till my next Deli-Shoots recipe. Ciao!

Keep in touch!
Email me at  chaicgalapon18@gmail.com
Like whazz bloggin you and me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter @mythinktanknet
Subscribe to my updates.

2 comments:

Thanks for visiting my site. If you wish to receive updates please do subscribe on my email below or join my site. Have a great day!