I arrived at the 30 minutes before SM Hypermarket Pasig branch opens, I'm with 2 other ladies who are also waiting for 9 'o clock signal. So eager to be the number in line so I just stood up at the foot of the escalator during waiting time so people would know I got the spot. Well that didn't happen because the woman and a guy suddenly went up telling the guard they will use the restroom, and because of that we all went up on the 2nd floor and started the journey of renewal.
Here are some essentials you need to bring so you won't be caught up empty handed and end up at the back of the line:
1. Old driver's license with its Official Receipt
2. Ballpen (though they sell it at P10, it's still good to have it and fill out forms while you're in line)
3. A bottle of water if you feel like you need to hydrate before giving out urine sample for drug testing
4. A fan, well I just thought it is a necessity there, knowing that air-conditioning will open at mall hours, even if it's raining outside it will still be hot inside the mall and you don't want to look like you've been sweating all over when taken a picture
5. At least one primary ID for use as reference
We'll be doing a step by step procedure and the estimated time for each transaction:
1. Proceed to Window 1 for the Application for Renewal for Driver's License form
Whoops! This just in... Mandatory Drug Testing was removed permanently on this process.Period. So, I guess we better be more careful now on the road, because you'll never know some people might be real
'drug addicts' holding the steering wheel. =( And don't you turn their fire on! Always be calm when dealing with reckless drivers.
this is the 'then' drug testing office in SM Pasig
(you can now keep your P300)
2. After filling out the form, next step will be the Medical check-up and some sight and hearing test will be done too. You will be paying P150.00 on this booth. About 10-15 minutes on this part.
3. Submit all documents to Window 1 and wait for your name to be called for the ID capture on Window 5.
Note: If you will be a first timer renewal, expect more than 30 minutes to be called, and don't be in awe if you see more than 13 persons after you passed by and finished the process (it happened to me). First timers file are being recorded and still needs to be sent to the main office (I think) for the confirmation) If they are using the obsolete type of computers, better bring a novel with you to read.
It's still Christmas after all (",)
Yup, in mid-June.
4. ID Capture - feel good when your picture is being taken, your license will be with you for the next three years. This will take about a minute only after placing your signature on the signature pad then wait for 10 minutes more.
5. Pay to the Cashier
Prepare P417.63 for Non-Professional license
If you have expired license already, there are additional penalty payments
P75 for 1 day to 1 year expired license
P150 for a year and 1 day to 2 years expired
P225 for more than 2 years (plus re-examination)
Please refer to this summary of LTO fees
Process, process, process. Wait for about 10-15 minutes for your name to be called...
6. Releasing of new driver's license at Window 1.
Make sure you check every details on your license before leaving the LTO site.
Voila! At exactly 11:07AM my name was called.
It was a good feeling after all the waiting and sweating. Driving with an expired license is a bit scary even if you are very careful in driving you'll never know if an officer will wave his hand for you to stop and check your license. That's an inconvenience, time consuming and money wasted.
So that's my first renewal experience, and I think some of you will be more happy now that it will definitely be a lesser time because 15-30 minutes for the drug testing process is now eliminated.
You may share and ask questions about this process by leaving a comment below. I will soon be answering your queries.
Be a responsible person on the road.
Let's Keep in Touch...
Email me at email@example.com
Like whazz bloggin you and me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter @mythinktanknet
Subscribe to my updates.
Last post was Abbott's PediaSure plus Promo Extended